- Somerton W.H., Söylemezoglu I.M., Dudley R.C. (1975) Effect of stress on permeability of coal, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts 12, 5-6, 129–145. [CrossRef]
- Durucan S., Edwards J.S. (1986) The Effect of stress and fracturing on permeability of coal, Mining Science and Technology 3, 205–216. [CrossRef]
- McKee C.R., Bumb A.C., Koenig R.A. (1987) Stress-dependent permeability and porosity of coal, Proceedings of the 1987 Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, pp. 183–190.
- Seidle J.P., Jeansonne M.W., Erickson D.J. (1992) Application of matchstick geometry to stress dependent permeability in coals, Rocky Mountain Regional Meeting of the Society of Petroleum Engineers, Casper, Wyoming, 18-21 May, SPE 24361.
- Connell L.D., Lu M., Pan Z. (2010) An analytical coal permeability model for tri-axial strain and stress conditions, International Journal of Coal Geology 84, 2, 103–114. [CrossRef]
- Connell L.D., Pan Z., Lu M., Heryanto D., Camilleri M. (2010) Coal permeability and its behavior with gas desorption, pressure and stress, SPE Asia Paciﬁc Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition, Brisbane, Australia, 18-20 Oct., SPE Paper 133915.
- Jasinge D., Ranjith P.G., Choi S.K. (2010) Effects of effective stress changes on permeability of latrobe valley brown coal, Fuel 90, 1292–1300. [CrossRef]
- Harpalani S., Zhao X. (1989) An investigation of the effect of gas desorption on coal permeability formation, Proceedings of the 1989 Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, pp. 57–64.
- Harpalani S., Schraufnagel R.A. (1990) Shrinkage of coal matrix with release of gas and its impact on permeability of coal, Fuel 69, 551–556. [CrossRef]
- Harpalani S., Chen G.L. (1997) Influence of gas production induced volumetric strain on permeability of coal, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering 15, 4, 303–325.
- Bodden W.P., Ehrlich R. (1998) Permeability of coals and characteristics of desorption tests: Implications for coalbed methane production, International Journal of Coal Geology 35, 333–347. [CrossRef]
- Chikatamarla L., Cui X., Bustin R.M. (2004) Implications of volumetric swelling/shrinkage of coal in sequestration of acid gases, Proceedings of the 2004 Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Levine J.R. (1996) Model study of the inﬂuence of matrix shrinkage on absolute permeability of coal bed reservoirs, in Coalbed Methane and Coal Geology, Gayer R., Harris I. (eds), Geological Society Special Publication, 109, London, pp. 197–212. [CrossRef]
- Robertson E.P., Christiansen R.L. (2006) A permeability model for coal and other fractured, sorptive-elastic media, SPE Eastern Regional Meeting, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Canton, Ohio, USA.
- Pan Z., Connell L.D. (2007) A theoretical model for gas adsorption-induced coal swelling, International Journal of Coal Geology 69, 243–252. [CrossRef]
- Viete D.R., Ranjith P.G. (2007) The mechanical behavior of coal with respect to CO2 sequestration in deep coal seams, Fuel 86, 2667–2671. [CrossRef]
- Lin W., Tang G.-Q., Kovscek A.R. (2008) Sorption-induced permeability change of coal during gas-injection processes, SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering 11.
- Balan H.O., Gumrah F. (2009) Assessment of shrinkage–swelling inﬂuences in coal seams using rank-dependent physical coal properties, International Journal of Coal Geology 77, 203–213. [CrossRef]
- Clarkson C.R., Pan Z., Palmer I.D., Harpalani S. (2010) Predicting sorption-induced strain and permeability increase with depletion for coalbed-methane reservoirs, SPE Journal 15, 1, 152–159. [CrossRef]
- Zhu W.C., Liu J., Sheng J.C., Elsworth D. (2007) Analysis of coupled gas ﬂow and deformation process with desorption and Klinkenberg effects in coal seams, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 44, 971–980. [CrossRef]
- Gray I. (1987) Reservoir engineering in coal seams, part 1—the physical process of gas storage and movement in coal seams, SPE Reservoir Engineering 2, 1, 28–34. [CrossRef]
- Sawyer W.K., Zuber M.D., Kuuskraa V.A. (1987) Using reservoir simulation and ﬁeld data to deﬁne mechanisms controlling coalbed methane production, Proceedings of the 1987 Coalbed Methane Symposium, Alabama, 295–307.
- Seidle J.R., Huitt L.G. (1995) Experimental measurement of coal matrix shrinkage due to gas desorption and implications for cleat permeability increases, International Meeting on Petroleum Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Palmer I., Mansoori J. (1996) How permeability depends on stress and pore pressure in coalbeds, a new model, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Denver, Colorado.
- Palmer I., Mansoori J. (1998) Permeability depends on stress and pore pressure in coalbeds, a new model, SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering 1, 6, 539–544. [CrossRef]
- Shi J.Q., Durucan S. (2004) Drawdown induced changes in permeability of coalbeds: a new interpretation of the reservoir response to primary recovery, Transport in Porous Media 56, 1–16. [CrossRef]
- Shi J.Q., Durucan S. (2004) A numerical simulation study of the Allison Unit CO2 – ECBM pilot: the effect of matrix shrinkage and swelling on ECBM production and CO2 injectivity, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, Sept. 5-9, Vancouver, Canada 1, 431–442.
- Shi J.Q., Durucan S. (2005) A model for changes in coalbed permeability during primary and enhanced methane recovery, SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering 8, 4, 291–299. [CrossRef]
- Zhao Y., Hu Y., Wei J., Yang D. (2003) The experimental approach to effective stress law of coal mass by effect of methane, Transport in Porous Media 53, 3, 235–244. [CrossRef]
- Cui X., Bustin R.M. (2005) Volumetric strain associated with methane desorption and its impact on coalbed gas production from deep coal seams, AAPG Bulletin 89, 9, 1181–1202. [CrossRef]
- Cui X., Bustin R.M., Chikatamarla L. (2007) Adsorption-induced coal swelling and stress, implications for methane production and acid gas sequestration into coal seams, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth 112, B10202. [CrossRef]
- Gu F., Chalaturnyk R.J. (2006) Numerical simulation of stress and strain due to gas sorption/desorption and their effects on in situ permeability of coalbeds, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 45, 10, 52–62.
- Gu F., Chalaturnyk R.J. (2010) Permeability and porosity models considering anisotropy and discontinuity of coalbeds and application in coupled simulation, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 74, 3-4, 113–131. [CrossRef]
- Connell L.D. (2009) Coupled ﬂow and geomechanical processes during gas production from coal seams, International Journal of Coal Geology 79, 1-2, 18–28. [CrossRef]
- Connell L.D., Detournay C. (2009) Coupled ﬂow and geomechanical processes during enhanced coal seam methane recovery through CO2 sequestration, International Journal of Coal Geology 77, 1-2, 222–233. [CrossRef]
- Wang G.X., Massarotto P., Rudolph V. (2009) An improved permeability model of coal for coalbed methane recovery and CO2 geosequestration, International Journal of Coal Geology 77, 1-2, 127–136. [CrossRef]
- Liu H.H., Rutqvist J. (2010) A new coal-permeability model, internal swelling stress and fracture-matrix interaction, Transport in Porous Media 82, 1, 157–171. [CrossRef]
- Liu J., Chen Z., Elsworth D., Miao X.X., Mao X.B. (2010) Linking gas-sorption induced changes in coal permeability to directional strains through a modulus reduction ratio, International Journal of Coal Geology 83, 1, 21–30. [CrossRef]
- Liu S., Harpalani S., Mallikarjun P. (2012) Laboratory measurement and modeling of coal permeability with continued methane production: Part 2 – Modeling results, Fuel 94, 117–124. [CrossRef]
- Wu Y., Liu J., Elsworth D., Miao X.X., Mao X.B. (2010) Development of anisotropic permeability during coalbed methane production, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 2, 4, 197–210. [CrossRef]
- Wei Z., Zhang D. (2010) Coupled ﬂuid-ﬂow and geomechanics for triple-porosity/dual- permeability modeling of coalbed methane recovery, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 47, 8, 1242–1253. [CrossRef]
- Izadi G., Wang S., Elsworth D., Liu J., Wu Y., Pone D. (2011) Permeability evolution of ﬂuid-inﬁltrated coal containing discrete fractures, International Journal of Coal Geology 85, 202–211. [CrossRef]
- Ma Q., Harpalani S., Liu S. (2011) A simpliﬁed permeability model for coalbed methane reservoirs based on matchstick strain and constant volume theory, International Journal of Coal Geology 85, 1, 43–48. [CrossRef]
- Pan Z., Connell L.D. (2011) Modelling of anisotropic coal swelling and its impact on permeability behaviour for primary and enhanced coalbed methane recovery, International Journal of Coal Geology 85, 257–267. [CrossRef]
- Rice D.D. (1993) Composition and origins of coalbed gas, AAPG 38, 159–184.
- Scott A.R. (1993) Composition and origin of coalbed gases from selected basins in the United States, Proceedings of the 1993 Coalbed Methane Symposium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, pp. 207–222.
- Scott A.R., Kaiser W.R., Ayers W.B. Jr (1994) Thermogenic and secondary biogenic gases, San Juan Basin, Colorado and New Mexico—implications for coalbed gas producibility, AAPG Bulletin 78, 1186–1209.
- Scott A.R. (2002) Hydrogeologic factors affecting gas content distribution in coal beds, International Journal of Coal Geology 50, 363–387. [CrossRef]
- Diamond W.P., Schatzel S.J. (1998) Measuring the gas content of coal: a review, International Journal of Coal Geology 35, 311–331. [CrossRef]
- Stricker G.D., Flores R.M. (2002) Coalbed methane content in the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: saturation by coal rank and depth, 2002 International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Sept. 23-27.
- Lamarre R. (2006) Under-saturation in coals: How does it happen and why is it important: Search and Discovery Article 40195, Available at: http://www.searchanddiscovery.net/documents/2006/06034/amarre/index.htm.
- Bustin A.M.M., Bustin R.M. (2008) Coal reservoir saturation: impact of temperature and pressure, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin 92, 77–86. [CrossRef]
- Gentzis T., Goodarzi F., Cheung F.K., Laggoun-Défargec F. (2008) Coalbed methane producibility from the Mannville coals in Alberta, Canada: A comparison of two areas, International Journal of Coal Geology 74, 237–249. [CrossRef]
- Mares T.E., Moore T.A., Moore C.R. (2009) Uncertainty of gas saturation estimates in a subbituminous coal seam, International Journal of Coal Geology 77, 320–327. [CrossRef]
- Yao Y.B., Liu D.M., Tang D.Z., Huang W.H. (2009) Preliminary evaluation of the coalbed methane production potential and its geological controls in the Weibei Coalﬁeld, Southeastern Ordos Basin, China, International Journal of Coal Geology 78, 1, 1–15. [CrossRef]
- Yao Y.B., Liu D.M., Qiu Y.K. (2013) Variable gas content, saturation, and accumulation characteristics of Weibei coalbed methane pilot-production field in the southeastern Ordos Basin, China, AAPG Bulletin 97, 8, 1371–1393. [CrossRef]
- Pashin J.C. (2010) Variable gas saturation in coalbed methane reservoirs of the Black Warrior Basin: Implications for exploration and production, International Journal of Coal Geology 82, 135–146. [CrossRef]
- Wong S., Macdonald D., Andrei S., Guntera W.D., Denga X., Lawc D., Yed J., Fengd S., Fand Z., Hoe P. (2010) Conceptual economics of full scale enhanced coalbed methane production and CO2 storage in anthracitic coals at South Qinshui basin, Shanxi, China, International Journal of Coal Geology 82, 280–286. [CrossRef]
- Ayers W.B. (2002) Coalbed gas systems, resources, and production and a review of contrasting cases from the San Juan and Powder River Basins, AAPG Bulletin 86, 1853–1890.
- Hamelinck C., Faaij A., Turkenburg W., van Bergen F., Pagnier H.J.M., Barzandji O.H.M., Wolf K.-H.A.A., Ruijg G.J. (2002) CO2 enhanced coalbed methane production in the Netherlands, Energy 27, 7, 647–674. [CrossRef]
- Langmuir I. (1918) The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum, Journal of the American Chemical Society 40, 1361. [CrossRef]
- Dubinin M.M., Astakhov V.A. (1971) Description of adsorption equilibria of vapors on zeolites over wide ranges of temperature and pressure, Advances in Chemistry 102, 69–85, American Chemical Society Publications, Washington, DC. [CrossRef]
- DeGance A.E. (1992) Multicomponent high-pressure adsorption equilibria on carbon substrates: theory and data, Fluid Phase Equilibria 78, 99–137. [CrossRef]
- Zhou C., Hall F., Gasem K.A.M., Robinson R.L. Jr. (1994) Predicting gas adsorption using two-dimensional equations of state, I&EC Research 33, 1280–1289.
- Clarkson C.R., Bustin R.M. (2000) Binary gas adsorption/desorption isotherms: Effect of moisture and coal composition upon carbon dioxide selectivity over methane, International Journal of Coal Geology 42, 241–271. [CrossRef]
- Fitzgerald J.E., Pan Z., Sudibandriyo M., Robinson R.L. Jr, Gasem K.A.M. (2005) Adsorption of methane, nitrogen, carbon dioxide and their mixtures on wet Tiffany coal, Fuel 84, 2351–2363. [CrossRef]
- Pan Z.J., Connell L.D. (2009) Comparison of adsorption models in reservoir simulation of enhanced coalbed methane recovery and CO2 sequestration in coal, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 3, 77–89. [CrossRef]
- Gas Research Institute (GRI) (2002) A Guide to Coalbed Methane Reservoir Engineering, Report GRI-94/ 0397.
- Mavor M.J., Gunter W.D. (2004) Secondary porosity and permeability of coal: gas composition and pressure, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas, USA, 26-29 Sept.
- Jones S.C. (1972) A rapid accurate unsteady-state klinkenberg permeameter, SPE Formation Evaluation 12, 5, 383–397.
- Zahner B. (1997) Application of material balance to determine ultimate recovery of a San Juan Fruitland coal wel, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, 5-8 Oct., San Antonio, Texas, SPE 38858.
- Mavor M.J., Vaughn J.E. (1998) Increasing coal absolute permeability in the San Juan basin Fruitland formation, SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering 1, 3, 201–206. [CrossRef]
- Tanikawa W., Shimamoto T. (2006) Klinkenberg effect for gas permeability and its comparison to water permeability for porous sedimentary rocks, Hydrology & Earth System Sciences Discussions 3, 4, 1315–1338. [CrossRef]
- Klinkenberg L.J. (1941) The permeability of porous media to liquids and gases, Drilling and production Practice, American Petroleum Inst., pp. 200–213.
Oil Gas Sci. Technol. – Rev. IFP Energies nouvelles
Volume 71, Number 3, May–June 2016
|Number of page(s)||14|
|Published online||20 August 2015|
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.